The power of mute


I had a conference call I had to be on this morning and was a little worried about how it would go with the little guy running around the house. The true test of a work-at-home situation. If the little guy made any noises, not only could they be broadcast to everyone calling in to the meeting, but would also be heard by a conference room full of people via speaker phone. Thank God for a mute button on the iPhone that turns off the phone's microphone while on a call. Using this plus the speaker phone worked fairly well. My husband was also home, so he occupied the little guy as best he could. There was a scary moment, though, when I was going to have to speak and the little guy was making all sorts of noises playing with a flashlight. I had to run across the house, pray that he didn't pitch a fit over me leaving the room, quickly take the phone off mute so I could say what I needed to say, then immediately put it back on mute. Thankfully he didn't start screaming, because with our house, I could be on one end, my husband could take the little guy into a closed room, and there's a good chance his screams could still be heard on my phone. He's really well-behaved for the most part, but I think we're going to have to work on what "quiet" means.

Next week I'm actually going to be going to a meeting, so I'll be working out of the house for a whole day. Now that I'm starting to get used to the whole working-from-home set up and don't feel like I'm just taking time off, I wonder if it's now going to feel weird to be gone for a day. I'll actually have to set my alarm and put on real clothes!

Going back to the iPhone, it's a big day in this house because today is the release of the newest operating system for the iPhone. While most people are excited about the multitasking feature, my husband and I are most looking forward to the new app organization feature. Supposedly you'll be able to organize your apps into folders (I say supposedly because I haven't downloaded the update yet and my husband is currently in the middle of it), which you can then lock if you want. This means that the little guy can play with our iPhones, but we can lock away everything except the games we want him to play. No more deleted apps, no more settings getting switched, no more photos and videos ending up in the garbage. No matter how closely we watch him when he's playing with one of our iPhones, he's just too fast to prevent all the damage and he's so tall and sneaky it's hard to keep the phones away from him entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment